Tuesday, September 6, 2011

SOON!


When I look at the date I last posted and all of the progress Violet has made, it makes me feel a little ashamed and a little sad. Life has a tendency to catch up with us. Much like all of my friends and colleagues and family members have said, "It all happens so fast". I can honestly attest to the fact that no truer words have been spoken. Our daughter, Violet is a charming, funny, energetic, and fiercely independent 3 year old who, in a matter of hours, will become a big sister. I have a feeling that our Violet will be a good helper (for at least a week) and she'll serve as an excellent role model (until she's 16).

I'm excited as ever for the arrival of our son. We've decided that his name will be Degan (pronounced with a long e). The middle name has caused a bit of a silly war for the past few weeks. I had/have my heart set on Flynn. Melissa and I came to a compromise on Archer. We'll see what happens when he's born. I can't wait to meet him.

This has been the pregnancy of mistiming. By that I mean with Violet, everything fell perfectly into place; we induced on the day we wanted, her room was set up, and everything just fit to accommodate V's arrival. Not so with Degan. We needed to sell our town home to make some more space for his arrival. After a set of harrowing events involving our house sale and purchasing a new home, we found ourselves back at square one. Regardless, I suppose all Degan needs is a family that loves him as well as a roof over his head and a steady supply of food, and we have that. Time to make the best of what we can't control and give him all that we have.

Melissa is currently receiving an epidural and I've been removed from the room for this process. She said that she was more nervous about the needle in the back than she was about actually giving birth again. Going through the birthing process with her again reminds me of how amazingly strong Melissa is, as well as how much I admire her strength. I don't think I could do what she's doing (well, despite not being physically able). I'm in the unfortunate position of having to watch her in pain, which I absolutely abhor, but I'm also in the position to be as supportive as I can be when it matters most.

We'll probably have our son in the world by 5PM.

More later.

No comments: